Sunday, February 10, 2008

Psycho Wyco 50 Km Run Toto Run


I am glad I didn't write this long version yesterday, race day. Time has away of changing one's outlook.
This is state 37, Kansas.
The day before, Friday, I spot checked the course to see the conditions. The trails were covered with snow and ice, doable. Race day was 31 degrees, however temperatures were to increase into the 40's and sunny.
The race started at 8 am. The group of runners were 1 looper or 10 milers, 2 looper or 20 milers, and of course the 95 - 50 km runners.
My thoughts were to go to the last third of the pack in hopes most of the speed demon
10 & 20 milers were in the front. Error #1.
The trails for the first loop were very snow covered and icy. My shoe selection was perfect for conditions. The trails were 95% single track. This is still included in error #1
The course and Wyandotte County Lake Park are beautiful. The trails during dry spring and fall would be perfect. They compare to Mohican trails. You are either going up or down. The first 0.2 mile is flat,and that is it!
During lap one I had to work to get past runners. On the down hills the dam runners were walking like something was going to break. I just flew down the hills and they did yield. I must say the ice and snow made some sections very dangerous.
However with 7 mile completed I noticed that the ice and snow was melting as the sun was warming the western slopes of the trails. I felt this was a bad omen, as the mud
was slippery then the ice was earlier. My goal was 1:50 for the first loop and I arrived at 2:06. Most of the runners around me were heading to the finish line (10 milers).
Second loop, not the same as the first. After passing the S/F aid station, I headed out alone. Saw no one. It was nice as I got to run the first and second mile fairly easy. Now the sun was warming the eastern slopes. Mud, slippery mud, ankle deep mud. I caught a few people in the Wyandotte Triangle trail section. This is trail that is banked outward and had mud so greasy you would slide off the trail. Error #2, should have wore my Katoohlas. I will stop bitching. Got to the section near the dam and at that point no sun shown there yet. I flew down the hill and passed many runners. After the dam you climb to the western portion of the course were the mud was most intense. This section was well over ankle deep mud, except the section called Festers Run. This section was still in the shade and was laid out by some dam dog. I can't believe a dog was that energetic to go up those steep sections like that. This was still snow covered and icy. Very dangerous.
Made it to 19 miles and was running with several runners. I mentioned how much worse the mud was going to be on the third loop. They told me they were only doing 20 miles.
After stopping at the S/F aid station, I headed out alone for loop three. All by my lonesome. I figured the way I was running, I had to be the last runner. I don't have to tell you, but the third loop was the worst. No traction, hard to stay on the trail and when you did run down hill, the mud was trying to trip you. I have never seen so much mud in my life. I was lucky to have run 2 miles in the last 10 miles.
I never saw another runner during the third loop and the only thing keeping me going was state 37.
The last 0.2 mile was down hill and was rocky and dry, so my finish at least looked good.
Results: State 37 - Kansas
8:07:39, second worst 50 km race
AG - 8 of 10 (50-59)
OA - 49 of 68 There were 95 preregistered.
Saw two pygmy goats, cute and friendly. They must have belonged to the
park manager. (Highlight of the trip)
Note: Mathew Laye won in a time of 4:19:42 (He was the only one to lap me)

2 comments:

Running 2 Mohican said...

Good thing those goats did not jump out!

Don: said...

Rob, I wish the goats would have got me.