Friday, June 11, 2010

#44 Bear Lake Marathon, Idaho









6 AM we started the marathon in Garden City Utah. The temperature was 40, but pleasant. We basically ran 13.25 miles north and made a turn east for 6-7 miles and headed south to the Bear Lake State Park for the finish. Temperature at the finish was 50. Had a head wind for the first 13 miles then tail wind for the rest. I found my only problem was a high heart rate during the first 8 miles. To high, but a fellow runner I caught was using 4 minutes running with a 1 minute walk to aid him with the same problem. So being hard boiled and all, I used 6 minute run with 1 minute walk. It worked and my heart rate drop to a comfort range and I was able to coupe with the altitude. The last 5+ miles were the toughest with lots of hills, so I improvised by taking the 1 minute walk on the uphills and if we were going down then it had to wait. Interesting the the finish was uphill. Sounds like Rob Powell laid out that course. Any how I finished and after an ice bath and a quart of chocolate milk, am ready for tomorrows Bear Lake Utah Marathon. Let the fun begin. Attached are some glossies of me and spots on the course. I really liked the shoe house.
Betty has been a great help with my success.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Congrats! Glad to see some race reports from you!

Don: said...

Thanks and hope to post more often.